Tuesday, April 17, 2007

So I'm supposed to be studying...

And I have been, I really have! In fact, I'm working on my paper RIGHT NOW, but I got distracted by this article I found in my research. You see, I'm writing a paper for my Psych Practicum which is late, but I'll have to explain to my professors what's happened in the last couple of weeks, such as my car being reposessed (Which I got back yesterday!!! YAY!!), my grandmother being in a coma, my phone dying- getting a new one, that was also defective, and having a series of panic attacks. Yeah, I think that should get me an extension. Anyway, I'm working on it now and hopefully I can turn it in, study for that World Religions exam that I'm taking so that I don't have to take the class at all, and be done with Albertus Magnus for a very long time. ::whew!::

Anyway, the paper's on how I think this little girl in this program that I was working in for preschool kids with behavior problems as a result of abuse and neglect has the best chance of leading a healthy life because her foster family decided to adopt her, they're devoted, working class people who are involved in her treatment, she's attached well to them, and her real, drug addict parents are dead so they can't come back and disrupt her life. So while I was doing the research to back up my theory, I ran across this article titled "Understanding Child Outcomes: An Application to Child Abuse and Neglect" by Carlos Seiglie. It sounded relevant to my paper, so I opened it up and read it... but it's NOTHING that you would expect. Apparently they found that parents are less likely to abuse and neglect all of their children if at the time of conception they have the option of abortion readily available to them. The study found that the parents are not necessarily more or less likely to abort, but that the option alone had a positive effect on the outcome of their families. One more reason to be pro choice! (Oh and before you anti-abortionists start attacking me, I'd like to mention that I have very compelling arguments for being pro-choice that you really can't argue with, none of which have to do with whether or not abortion is "right" or "wrong." And as for that whole God thing, don't forget that He gave us free will- the ability to choose our paths and to choose the "wrong" way if we wish.)

On another note entirely, I got my replacement phone in the mail on Saturday, and it was even more screwed up than the phone I already had! Yesterday when I activated it, everything seemed to be going fine, except that it was saying that my battery was fully charged, then I'd unplug it and it would die. Then I got a phone call from my father and it just turned off in the middle of it- at a really bad time actually, because I'm sure that if I hadn't sent my father an e-mail explaining what had happened he would have thought that I was being bitchy and hanging up on him. THEN, even worse, Tiffany called to ask me to take her to the hospital because the clinic wanted her to be checked out for appendicitis. Before I could find out where she was or anything the damn thing shut off again! Thankfully her step-mother was able to take her in the time it took for me to find her phone number and another phone to call her from... and she's OK. But in order to find that out I had to call the hospital and harass them for like 12 hours, telling them I was her sister, before they finally gave Tiff the phone so I could get a real status.

Anyway, my point was that this model of phone is complete and total crap. Why can't all phones be like my old Samsung 670? That cute little camera phone was fantastic! It was tiny, cute, had all the amenities and it lasted through a four-wheeling trip that sent it into the mud, got it ran over by a truck and left in the rain overnight. It also made it through several falls, being danced on... even when I finally dropped it and split it in 1/2 it still technically worked and I didn't lose a single phone number. I was even talking to some guy at the Verizon store about it and he actually washed his and it still worked just fine! Too bad they don't make it anymore. I think I may even still have the pieces of it....

OK back to work!

No comments: